Today as I sit here, infront of me a newspaper headline, “RAPE” is what it screams and leaves me shuddered. And it puts a big question mark on one of the most cherished wish I have had. From what I can remember ,i have always wanted to have a daughter. Girls dream about getting married, I dreamt of someday having a girl kid, and giving her all that and more of what she deserved. And so I start thinking ,what exactly would be the world that I would want for my daughter. A world where:
1.Where she would be known for being HER, good or bad… and not because she is someone’s daughter ,that she belongs to a particular lineage or for the individual she got married to.
2. A world where she can become anything she wants or chooses to be- A defence personnel, a marketing professional or a football player. Professions would be gender neutral.
3.Where people would know that she wants to wear that short dress just because its comfortable and cute and not because she wants to draw attention.
4.Where she would be roaming around to every nook and corner of earth which she wants to explore, anytime of the day or night just the way any guy would.
5.Where no one would associate their image, their stature with her actions. The only image she would be responsible of is that of her own.
6. Where no one would bring her pink stuff until and unless they know that it is the colour she prefers, and would not assume it just because she is a girl.
7. Where she would have an absolute right to choose to get married to the person of her choice, or for that matter an absolute right to remain single.
8.Where cooking would be optional and career a priority, just the way it would be for her husband.
9.Where she would always have the right to NOT HAVE BABIES if she wishes so.
10. Where she would not never need an advise on how to keep herself safe when she steps out.
11. Where she would feel blessed to have come to life.
I remember a lady in that orphanage saying to me once, looking at the 4 month old Muskaan , abandoned by someone when she was just a day old, “I don’t know why people don’t understand, it needs truck load of luck to have been able to bring a girl to life. Only very few chosen one get this beautiful gift from god.”
If I ever have a girl, and I die ,meet god and he asks , “So do u think u were worthy to have been given a girl child..?” I just wish I cansay a YES .. firm & loud.