The year started with on a good note with SHRM (Society for Human Resource management) giving me an opportunity to be a part of their test writing workshop. Now for anyone who is in the field of HR, would know that SHRM is a very renowned organization. I was on cloud nine, when i had cleared their PHR certification last year, as statistics show less than 60% of the professionals who take the test, manage to clear it.
So coming to this year, i got invited for their workshop,to be held in USA. It was a sponsored trip , with SHRM taking care of the travel and stay. I was thrilled to have got the opportunity. And such amazing trip it turned out to be.
- I got to work with some incredible bunch of HR professionals , from so many different countries, US, Canada, Philippines,Vietnam, Japan, Iran etc. The learning in that workshop was more than what i learnt in the entire year.
- My sinus was behaving like an obedient fellow, and even in extremely low temperatures, i had absolutely had no cold, cough or any infections. Someone who struggles with the sneezing bouts ,the blocked noses and the perennial headaches,would know what a relief it was.
- People were soooooooo good. They were friendly, helpful, courteous and funny. Thankyou and sorry were used so liberally. The strangers on the road would wish you and give some really genuine smiles. It does make one feel good.
- I got to see the smithsonian museums and was bowled over. Simulations, movies, audios , such clever use of technology , making even boring of the things, so interesting
- I was travelling solo, and having completed the trip without any hiccups,took my confidence to another level.
- Got my first stamp on the passport and that too when the world is terrified of being trumped. 😉
- I now know a lot about travel cards, forex, insurances, visa interviews , applications etc etc. So all boring but important stuff.